September 10, 2010

Peepers, Peepers, Where Did You Get Those Peepers?

I've started reading the book The Peep Diaries: How we're learning to love watching ourselves and our neighbors by Hal Niedzviecki and was taken aback by it and while reading it on the bus yesterday I could not help but realize that even though I was surround by people I was oblivious to them. My whole focus was reading about John Egly and Trading Spouse with the distorted presentational tactics that the TV producers use to make the show. The funniest thing during the ride was that I got a text from the Lady and made a comment about Trading Spouses. Later that night we chatted about how in the UK the whole concept of the average joe was more geared towards families of chavs and deadbeats moms.

The gripping part of the Peep Diaries that has grabbed my attention is that the book is full of subtle tips and tricks to use while creating and maintaining the online persona that is blogging, forums, social networks. These all form Peep Culture. I loved how he writes that the whole transition of the word peep has been transferred out of the negative connotations and becomes a regular form of pop culture.  Trolling craigslist personal ads are always great for a few minutes of laughs and WTF!'s.

That being said. I've got a new office setup at home and between school and work I'm going to attempt to transition the way in which I participate in this Peep Culture.

No comments: